May 2, 2011

My experiment with fatigue and tiredness

An hour of jogging,early in the morning(which is a pretty heavy workout for me),two hours of football in the scorching sun and an hour of lfootball in the evening exhausted me.I was so tired even to rise my hand up.But still,I gathered all my powers to stay awake and watch a game between man utd and arsenal.Manchester utd lost 1-0.This made me even more tired.Then I decided to retire for the day.
That is when I found a book by dale carnegie at my bedside stand.Its called  “how to stop worrying and start living”.Just out of sheer interest I took a glance at the index.”how to banish fatigue”.hmm, interesting topic…
I then flew to that page and started reading the chapter.The author advocated the theory that every person who  is fatigued , actually acted fatigued.
This got me thinking.Am I acting to be tired? does my mind and attitude really make me tired?It seemed to be a better idea to test and find out.That is when I remembered that I’ve not written a post in this blog.I then determined to seize this opportunity to test the point made by the author.
So I concentrated for about 10 minutes on some positive things such as light and gravity.By then I was all set to experiment with the fact.
And hence,I took a paper and a pen,started writing out this post.If you could have smelled a scent of sleepiness right from the beginning of this post,you are right.It’s not in me to stay awake till late night,let alone some special occasions. My eyes would start burning,if I tried to,and eventually would fall asleep on the couch itself.This is surely not easily modifiable.But this time,I would not give up.So I did some eye exercises that I’ve learnt in a yoga class.felt better.After that I continued writing my post.
And here are the results of my experiments.Its true!! The time was 11:30 pm when I finished writing this and I was surprised to notice that I still had much left in me.I came to know that your mind overcomes your body,if we really tried to.
But after this I got a doubt,a really serious one.If a man was so able to overcome tiredness using his mind,why should we even need sleep?This I could not answer.
So,as we reach the end of the post,I should  conclude by saying some ways to be energized, when you are fatigued.Here,they are:
  • Make your jobs interesting.We rarely get tired when we are doing something interesting and exciting.Do interesting things or spice up jobs in the way you like.
  • Act ‘as If’ you are interested in the job at hand. This acting will tend to make your interest real.It will also decrease the chances of you getting fatigued.
  • Ask this question to yourself when you are just at you breaking point.”Since you have to do it,why not have a good time doing it?”
  • Our life is what our thoughts make it.Talk to yourself as often as you can,to fine tune your thoughts into purely positive.
  • And,the most important one.Don’t worry.Smile,breathe and go slowly.
“Although an ass is tired, he continues to carry his burden; he is unmindful of cold and heat; and he is always contented; these three things should be learned from the ass”
                                               -Chanakya
Now for those who doubt my claim that I wrote this post in night by seeing the time I posted this,don’t tell that you couldn’t see a just about to sleep ciby in my writing.No confusion.Please believe.

2 comments: